Skip to content

Impartial training and careers advice

Call us: +441983 280 641

Travel/medical insurance advice

Travel insurance

You must hold insurance for medical expenses when you join Flying Fish outside your home country, including cover for your sports activities.


Cancellation or loss

We recommend that all customers have insurance in place to cover their fees in case of unavoidable cancellation, and for personal belongings in case of loss or damage.


Taking out your own insurance

If you arrange your own insurance, please make sure you are covered for all the activities you will take part in with Flying Fish.
You must provide us with details of your insurance before you join Flying Fish outside your home country.


Uninsured cancellation or curtailment

If you cancel or curtail in circumstances that are unavoidable but not insured, we shall do all we can to help you to continue at a later date. Although we cannot make a refund, where possible, we shall invite you to return to complete your course or event in the future.


European Health Insurance Card

Residents of the European Union visiting another EU country are strongly recommended to hold a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
Even if you have private medical cover or travel insurance which pays medical costs, holding an EHIC will simplify your attendance at a European hospital or medical centre.


After Flying Fish

During European employment following a Flying Fish course, candidates who are usually resident in the EU will be expected to hold an EHIC in order to claim reduced cost or free treatment.


Scuba diving

You will need PADI medicals for scuba diving.

The general rule is that PADI requires all recreational divers to self-assess using the PADI medical questionnaire. Download the PADI medical statement and self-assessment questionnaire here.


Medical exam

If your self-assessment reveals the need for a medical examination you will need to take your PADI medical statement to a doctor and obtain a certificate of fitness to dive.


PADI professionals

At a professional level, when preparing for a PADI Divemaster or Instructor course, all candidates must be examined and provide a medical certificate.

If you would like to speak to a training adviser to discuss any aspect of travel insurance send a message to Flying Fish


Health and medical advice

If you have any concerns about your health we suggest you speak to your own medical doctor or physician about your fitness to take part in sports activities at Flying Fish.



If you are travelling, you should also make sure you are aware of any immigration health requirements for countries you intend to visit after leaving us.


Existing conditions

When you book your place on a Flying Fish course or event you are asked to declare any medical conditions that may affect you.
If you become aware of a problem while you are with us please speak in confidence to a senior member of staff.

For details of medical requirements for captains and crew set by the UK’s Maritime and Coastguard Agency see our MCA medicals section. If you have any doubts about your fitness you should go for your medical exam before joining Flying Fish.